Angela’s House offers comprehensive care management to assist families caring for medically fragile children at home. Qualifying children will be assigned a Care Manager that will be responsible for the overall management of the child’s plan of care. We help families and children with their needs and continuously strive to access a full range of services and resources that are available. Our goal is to work collaboratively with the family and service providers to meet the needs and interests of the children that we service. The Care Manager is key to the success of the home care plan and is an integral part of the team, working to help with advocacy, planning and delivery of services. Angela’s House recognizes that each child has unique needs and we always work to provide the best services possible for each individual we serve.
The Children’s Health Home Program is not a physical location or home, but an innovative model for coordination of critical health care and other services to support medically fragile children living at home with their parents or guardians. This program is available through a waiver in New York State that provides Medicaid services designed to assist families caring for children at home who may have a severe disability and/or medical condition. Waiver services are for children needing respite, environmental modifications, and potential community services, which may help to enable the child to be cared for safely at home. An important aspect of this program is that parental income is not a factor in determining waiver eligibility. Parental resources do not affect the child’s eligibility for utilizing Medicaid supports. The child’s qualifying complex chronic health conditions are what determines eligibility. The goal of the health home program is to make sure its members receive access to services. Once a child is enrolled in a health home you are assigned a Care Manager who will work with the child and family to develop and create a comprehensive care plan that meets the physical, mental, and social service needs of the total child. The goal is to improve the well-being of the child and try to help reduce unnecessary hospitalizations while providing patient-centered culturally appropriate care that meets every child’s unique needs. The health home provider supports continuity of care and health promotion through the development of a treatment relationship with the individual and the interdisciplinary team of providers. Angela’s House collaborates with our care management through Sun River Health Home
Children who require hospital or skilled nursing home level of care
- Eligible children can receive Medicaid waiver services if the child meets the level of care outlined by New York State.
- Individuals who are eligible for the waiver will receive Medicaid (regardless of resources).
- Participants must have two (2) qualifying chronic medical conditions and/or
- One (1) single qualifying chronic condition and/or
- Serious Emotional disturbance or Complex Trauma
- Participants must be under 21 years of age
Children’s Health Home eligibility allows access to standard New York State plan Medicaid services. A list of some of the essential services includes:
- Private duty nursing
- In home therapies (physical, occupational and speech therapy)
- Home health / personal care services / Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP)
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Prescription drugs
- Resource referrals
- Medical social services
- Hospital inpatient and outpatient services
- Physicians care
- Laboratory and X-ray services
- Appointment scheduling
In addition, members of the Health Home who are approved for Home & Community Based Services (HCBS) Waiver services may receive:
- Comprehensive Care Management
- Home adaptations (e.g. wheelchair ramp, ceiling lift, door widening, bathroom modification)
- Vehicle modification
- Non-Medical transportation
- Adaptive and assistive equipment
- Community and day habilitation
- Palliative care
If you feel your child may qualify for this program, please contact our Angela’s House intake coordinator to assist with the application process.
Angela’s House also has additional Home Care programs and our three specialized group homes for medically fragile children that can no longer live at home with their families. These homes offer 24-hour nursing care in a warm, loving home environment suited to accommodate their complex physical and medical needs.
To learn more, please contact us at: 631-979-2620 or info@AngelasHouse.org